Here is a short list of Arendt’s pre-totalitarian signs that we see very strongly in our society:
- Widespread loneliness and social atomization.
- Loss of faith in institutions and hierarchies
- A desire to transgress
- A rise in the power of ideological thinking
- The increased use of propaganda
- The value of loyalty – to a person or to an ideology – more than expertise
- The politicization of everything
I could see totalitarianism coming from the Right, though cancel culture, which overlaps several signs, is mostly a Left phenomenon.